Saturday, December 4, 2010

Wow, this one is overdue. I wonder if anyone even reads this?

Hello to anyone who may read this.
It's been FOREVER since I've posted. Due to quite a few reason, I'd guess. First of all, I was pretty bummed out about riding and racing in general since March. Some car trouble ended up wiping out all my racing/traveling funds, and the spring road racing plans went by the wayside. I continued to ride, but with just not the same spirit. July rolled around, and I found myself getting a job at beautiful Pingree Park in Colorado.

Pingree Park is located approx. 50 miles west of Fort Collins, Co, and sits on the north side of the Mummy Mountain range. Along with myself, came the Cronus, of course. All there is to ride there is unmaintained gravel roads, and there are few to choose from. But if you think I didn't ride, you're wrong.

I got myself some 28c Continental 4-Season tires, slapped them on, and hit the gravel. I'm proud to say that in a solid month and a half of riding, I never had ONE FLAT. I still don't understand how it happened. There were times I thought for sure I'd be changing a tube, especially when going down a gnarly gravel 12% decent at 35-40+ mph, but absolutely no flats. Incredible. My theory is that the bomb-proof 4 season tires, combined with the shock-absorbing carbon frame of the Cronus, made for a forgiving combo on tubes.

The riding came to a stop, due to safety issues about the area (blind one lane roads and no phone service), and a knee injury (i'm pretty sure I fractured my patella). So in the mean time, it was just stretching and rock climbing.

After Pingree, I decided I liked Colorado so much that I decided to become a permanent resident of Fort Collins. My friends Emily and Lauren were kind enough to take me in at their place, and I turned a spare room into a bedroom. I now live just off of Horsetooth road in Fort Collins, Colorado.

I've only sampled a small portion of the cycling here, but so far, it's unbelievable. Some of the most physically challenging roads I've ever been on are just a few miles from my home. I've also taken up running a lot more, as that has helped my knee get back into business. Along with the running, I've also found rock climbing to be a really great workout, and an incredible fun activity as well.

I'm anxious to get back in the swing of riding, but work has me tied down. If I have the will/energy to ride at all, it's on my trainer after dark. But, you gotta do what you've gotta do.

All in all, I'm pleased with my decision to move to Fort Collins. A change in scenery was a much needed thing. I've got the itch to travel too much and see too many new places to stay home for very long.

Well that's it for now. Soon I'm hoping to have some pics up from Pingree and my new home, Fort Collins.
I'd also like to get a review of my Cronus's performance to date up, and let all of you know what I think of Fisher's flagship road design. 



No comments:

Post a Comment